[Mailman-Users] mm-handler same as postfix-to-mailman.py

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Jan 6 17:47:01 EST 2019

Hi Jim,

On 1/4/19 3:40 AM, Jim Ziobro wrote:
> Setting up mailing lists in a separate domain has a nice administrative
> appeal.

Agreed.  That's how I've always done it.

If I ever cared enough, I could set up a forward (et al) from
list at example.net to list at lists.example.net.  Maybe not automatic.  But
it does function.  (Or it did the last time I tried.)  -  I think it did
require adding an alternate address for the list to recognize itself as.

> I did a little more research to see how popular that method might be.
> I got a list of 1922 US universities and 457 have a host "lists...." and
> 191 have a host "list..." in their DNS.  I surveyed a few and ran
> across: Mailman, Lyris, Sympa, Listserv, Majordomo, and Google groups.
> Many universities outsource their Email to Outlook which has it own
> Group capability.

Interesting.

> I can hook up any mail system.  Just give me the list of mail-lists and
> tell me how to inject messages.  Glue will be more specific to a Mailer
> and OS than either Mailman or Sympa.  I think we get a benefit if we
> make a clean interface between Mailman and its feeding MTA.

Agreed.

> We can then eliminate some of the hacks like mm-handler.

Maybe.  But I think the hacks just move elsewhere, especially if you
want other features.

> I have some ideas for Mailman2.  I'll follow up.

I'd like to see some sort of integration into the Mailer (MTA) such that
it can do some simple filtering and reject the message at SMTP time
instead of needing to bounce it after the fact.

I think it should be somewhat easy to test the SMTP envelope sender to
see if it's subscribed to a list that is the SMTP envelope recipient.
If the sender is not a subscriber the MTA can reject the message.

It wouldn't be as simple, but I think similar could be done with the
DATA phase of the SMTP transaction to filter body contents.  Though I'm
not sure how to parse a message to see if it should be rejected without
actually having the message pass through part of Mailman.

I also think that an LMTP and / or SMTP interface to Mailman would be
nice.  I think that provides more features at the SMTP / DSN (maybe MDN)
level than STDIN into Mailman can provide.

Nice work Jim.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die