[Mailman-Users] question on bounce processing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 4 14:58:40 EST 2019

On 1/4/19 9:55 AM, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> Where should I look at for trying to figure out why particular members are
> being dropped off? I have members receiving the excessive bounce messages
> but I'm not finding much in the mail log relative to excessive bounces for
> the email address (I'm probably not looking for the correct bounce lines in
> the log)
>
> I'm running Mailman 2.1.26 on Ubuntu 18.04 and postfix

Ensure that Bounce processing -> bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is set
to Yes. Then when the user's delivery is disabled, the list owner will
receive a notice with a copy of the bounce DSN.

Or, with Mailman 2.1.19+ you can set
bounce_notify_owner_on_bounce_increment to Yes to get a notice every
time a user's bounce score is incremented.

This info should also be in the mail log if the bounces are reported by
the local MTA, but not if they are reported by a remote MTA. With
Postfix, look for lines with "status=bounce"