[Mailman-Users] email to sms?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 27 19:46:04 EST 2019

On 02/27/2019 02:22 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Dave,

> I've been using mailman to send routine announcements for a long time
> and more and more what people want is a text message. I've been able
> to discover gateways for individual carriers so that I can send to
> phone notification which is quick and handy. This has been well received.
>
> I've been looking at the list of carriers getting longer and have looked
> into email to sms services but what I've seen has been commercial and
> too expensive.
>
> Is there a collaborative or open source email to sms project? Can anyone
> refer me to better information? I've been pretty much just casting around
> so far.

I don't think I've seen a collaborative or open source email to SMS
project.  I suspect this is because of the technical nature of
gatewaying and / or the cost associated with doing so, be it
infrastructure or per message.

The only free services that I've seen have been operated by the cellular
networks for their customers.

The other commercial services have all had cell phones (or other similar
devices that interface with the cellular network like a phone) and end
up sending lots of texts.

I don't see how to overcome either of these limitations.  Maybe there is
a way.

I feel like sending text message is beyond the scope of what a mailing
list manager should do.  If some of the subscribed addresses happen to
be email address that are subsequently gatewayed, so be it.

If you really want to look into something to send SMS (or MMS) messages
in bulk, I'd look at something in parallel with Mailman.  Let Mailman do
what it's good at, email, and use something else for SMS (MMS).

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die