[Mailman-Users] Starting mailman on reboot

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 26 11:24:18 EST 2019

On 2/26/19 5:56 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 15:23, mailman-admin <mailman-admin at uni-konstanz.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 26.02.19 um 08:59 schrieb Odhiambo Washington:
>>> Server: Ubuntu 18.01
>>>
>>> I have followed these:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node42.html
>>>
>>>  % update-rc.d mailman defaults
>>>
>>> But still, mailman doesn't start on reboot.
>>>
>>> Nothing in the logs suggest any reason.
>>>

>> Ubuntu 18.04 is a systemd based distro.
>> Per default it is not using system V init system anymore.
>>
>> Check systemd-sysv-generator for getting those running.
>>

> The man page for systemd-sysv-generator is ... well, let me not say.

systemd-sysv-generator runs at boot to generate temporary systemd
services from /etc/init.d/* scripts for backwards compatibility with
SysV init.

If you have copied the init script from misc/mailman to
/etc/init.d/mailman, it should work with systemd. Note that the script
is misc/mailman, not scripts/mailman as it says in the manual. (I'm
fixing that.)