[Mailman-Users] How to kill zombie pending moderator requests?

Bill Cole mailmanu-20190215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Feb 16 15:10:29 EST 2019

On 16 Feb 2019, at 12:55, Brian Carpenter wrote:

> Check the headers of the request to make sure it is not coming from
> your
> older server.

That would have been best but the list owner was getting them, not me,
and the messages were right there in the exim_mainlog on the cPanel
machine...

> I run all of my clients' lists on cPanel servers and have done
> hundreds of migrations from other servers.

So, this raises 2 questions:

1. Do you have or know of a complete documentation of how to migrate a
Mailman list from a standard installation to cPanel? I did the
migrations that spawned this problem as a pilot for dozens that need to
be moved in the near future and wrote up the process that I used so that
others should be able to follow it, but I'm not filled with confidence
in the end result and would love to compare notes with someone who has
it nailed down.

2. Most specifically, how do you deal with migrating pending moderator
actions and subscription requests? I handled the lists I moved with
declaring a subscription & config freeze (easy, since these are private
lists) and asking the mods to clear all requests the morning of the
move, but obviously that didn't quite work because spammers don't even
try to pay attention to our change control discussions.

> The times that clients' reported
> phantom moderated notifications, all were coming from their previous
> server.

Still batting 1.000 :)

> cPanel has great tools for monitoring list traffic btw. It is the main
> reason why I run all of my 2.1 lists on cPanel servers.

I need to look more closely at those at some point. The company I'm
doing this for mostly leaves all the list administration to their
customer listowners, and I am a bit leery of presenting those
not-so-technical folk with a whole new interface doing things they never
knew they might have wanted. I have pared down a feature package for
cPanel to make it reasonable to present them with a non-bewildering UI
for managing via cPanel, but for now I'm just trying to make the
migrations as painless as possible.

Thanks for the help!

--
Bill Cole