[Mailman-Users] Automatic subscription based on e-mail subject

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Feb 1 16:44:58 EST 2019

On 02/01/2019 01:14 AM, R. Diez via Mailman-Users wrote:
> Of course there is the concept of 'Topic' in a mailing list. Mailman,
> the web interface, or whatever, does know how to group topics together.
> That is an obvious feature, because people tend to work/participate in
> threads.

I believe that what Mailman (2) considers to be a "topic" is
considerably different than what you might consider to be a "topic" or
"subject" or "thread".

My understanding is that Mailman considers a message to be part of a
"topic" if the message has one or more key words defined for the topic.
I.e. any message that has SMTP could be one topic, or DNS be another, or
Python a third.  This is decidedly NOT the "subject" or "thread" meaning
of the word "topic" that I think you are using.

What makes this more interesting ~> problematic is that I think Mailman
doesn't actually scan the message body for the topic(s) / keyword(s).
Instead, I believe it requires the topic(s) / keyword(s) to be listed in
the Keywords: header.  -  I know that I've used procmail to scan (copies
of) messages and add the proper topic(s) / keyword(s) to the Keywords:
header so that Mailman would see them and use it's topic filter
properly.  -  This was a LONG time ago and I have forgotten almost all
of the context.  This may no longer be a requirement for current
versions of Mailman.

Suffice it to say that Mailman's "Topic" concept is different than
concept that you and I have for "topic" / "subject" / "thread".

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die