[Mailman-Users] Best way to slow down all the spam to my lists?

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Fri Dec 13 20:24:51 EST 2019

On 12/12/19 12:46 PM, Chromatest J. Pantsmaker wrote:
 > I'm the system admin (though I'm not great at it).  I have a problem with
 > spam.  Hundreds of spam messages are posted to my lists each week.
They're

https://wiki.list.org/DOC/4.23%20How%20do%20I%20use%20SpamAssassin%20with%20Mailman%3F?action=show

 > Is that the best way to do what I need?
 > If so, what's the best method to use in my case?
 > My system:
 > Mailman 2.1.20
 > Apache2 / 2.4.18
 > Postfix 3.1.0
 > Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

With Postfix, you should activate the built-in SPAM control, "postscreen".

The details on how to use it are in POSTCSCREEN_README when you install
from source, I don't where/if Ubuntu puts it, or if they build it for
their distro, but it just works.  "man postscreen" should get you started.

I have it checking spamhaus.org, spamcop.net, and barracudacentral.org
for blacklisting.

I sometimes add IP ranges to "/etc/postfix/postscreeen_access.cidr",
(they've mainly been from Brazil, Korea, and China), when I notice a new
source that the blacklists haven't yet found, blocking out vast swathes
of the internet doesn't trouble me.

	Cheers,
		Gary	b-)