[Mailman-Users] Avoiding mangling in Mailman 3?

Allan Hansen hansen at rc.org
Sat Dec 7 22:56:29 EST 2019

Stephen et al.,

You’re right that using links instead of a Reply function is unattractive and not how email is supposed to work. On the other hand, the same surely goes for the To: mangling:

I have set the ReplyTo: as the author, it’s not the immediate replying as such that is an issue, and the mangled string is factually correct. The issue comes when Apple Mail does auto-completion and hides the email address.

A mangled From: address like this:

"Allan Hansen (hansen at rc.org <mailto:hansen at rc.org>) via list" <rc at mail.rc.org <mailto:rc at mail.rc.org>>

will show up as

‘Allan Hansen (hansen at rc.org <mailto:hansen at rc.org>) via list’

in Apple Mail with the address hidden by the mail client. Anyone sending to that string will assume that it goes to me. It does not. It goes to the list.

So putting “Allan Hansen (hansen AT rc.org <http://rc.org/>)" in the description will not help this issue. Using it with auto-completion will still send it to the hidden list address.

You’re right that if the author is sending HTML mail, adding a hyperlink to it is not likely to be successful at all. So maybe that’s not a good solution. On the other hand, if this is the case, it appears that the automatically inserted message footer added by Mailman is working fine (see next). Would anything prevent adding to this section? Can it be a REPLY button?

I did the code change for the mangling long ago, on advice from this list. It worked for a while, until the auto-completion issue and hiding of the actual email addresses messed it up. I’d rather not have the same problems in Mailman 3, so I’m looking for something, anything - even if it’s not nice, that does not cause my subscribers to be confused or to send private messages to 1000 people without knowing it.

Yours,

	Allan