[Mailman-Users] Acknowledging sender when moderated message is accepted

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 16 10:39:46 EDT 2019

On 8/15/19 10:54 AM, David Pane wrote:

> I administer a mailman (version 2.1.15) server (CentOS 7) which contain
> 40-50 lists (including umbrella lists).  When a sender's email is held
> for moderation, we would like to acknowledge the sender when that post
> is "Accepted" by the moderator in a similar fashion as we do when the
> moderator "Rejects" a message (default message with ability to
> customize).  This will avoid the user wondering if the email was sent
> out to the list.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Look at Mailman/ListAdmin.py. This module defines a __handlepost()
method. Within that definition there is a set of alternatives based on
'value'. I.e.

        if value == mm_cfg.DEFER:
        elif value == mm_cfg.APPROVE:
        elif value == mm_cfg.REJECT:
        else:

Within the 'REJECT' code there is a call to __refuse() to send the
rejection notice to the sender.

You could add a __approve() method similar to __refuse() to send the
approved notice to the user and call it from within the 'APPROVE' code.