[Mailman-Users] Finding list user in redacted FBL reports

Scott Neader scott at qth.com
Wed Aug 7 16:17:41 EDT 2019

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 7:38 PM Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users <
mailman-users at python.org> wrote:

> On 8/5/19 10:14 PM, Scott Neader wrote:
> > Hi all!  I have a list member with a comcast.net email address that is
> > marking most every list message as spam.  I have Personalization enabled,
> > and have the subscriber's email address in the footer, but Comcast
> redacts
> > the email address.  Unfortunately, there are quite a few comcast.net
> users
> > on this list, making this really difficult to find the offender.
>
> Oy vey!
>
> > Do any of you have any ideas for me to identify this serial
> > 'mark-as-spammer'?
>
> Are you using VERP?  I would think that the VERP data would survive
> Comcast's redaction.

I appreciate the suggestion, but VERP (as I understand it) changes the
return-path.  I do not get to see any headers, including return-path, other
than the ones I mentioned (To, From, CC, BCC, Subject and the Body
itself).  So, I do not believe VERP will help.

I need a way to put some clue about the recipient into the footer, when
personalization is enabled.  I've seen some past solutions where admins
were successful in adding some type of hash or encoded version of the
recipient's email address into the footer, but the steps to get that done
were not shared.  Open to other ideas.

- Scott