[Mailman-Users] Mailman eats this message. Why?

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Aug 1 10:42:01 EDT 2019

Brett Delmage writes:

 > I've been having trouble with one subscriber whose content was always
 > stripped.
 >
 > After changing a Content filtering flag and discovering that lynx was not
 > installed, my tests of my own multipart html + text, and html-only
 > messages indicated I had finally had Mailman correctly configured, or so
 > it seemed. I got content in both cases.
 >
 > But a test message from this user appears to have been eaten by MM.
 > Postfix shows delivery to the MM list alias and that's where it ends. MM
 > logs nothing for this message in any log and it is not posted.

Unfortunately, there are some cases where a message is discarded for
some reason and it's not logged in the "vette" log.  Do you have a
"vette" log at all?  (If you don't, it's not a problem, it will be
automatically created when needed.)  The other places it would be
logged, if it reaches the Outgoing queue, are the "post", "smtp", and
maybe "smtp-failure" logs.  You should have "post" and "smtp" logs,
right?  ("smtp-failure" is used when the connection fails, and the
message needs to be retried.)

Does the list have archives?  Check the archives to see if the message
is there.  (I'm pretty sure it won't be, but it slightly narrows the
possible places where the message gets "lost".)

The other possibilities I can think of are that it is hung up in the
retry or shunt queues.  Have you checked those?  (shunt is more
likely, due to some strangeness in the message.  If it's in the retry
queue there should be an entry in the "smtp-failure" log.)

 > p.s. forget asking this user to send multipart including text. Some
 > users are just incapable of that. But if I have to inform him that
 > his HTML-only messages as sent will never get through MM, that's
 > ok.

Well, we'll try a little bit harder to figure out what's going on
here.

 > lost message:

I don't see any problem here, and although too much is redacted (see
my response to Christian for the "ideal" redaction), the fact that
Postfix says the message was delivered to Mailman is very strong
evidence that it is Mailman that "lost" the message.

 > excerpt of config_list -o:

This looks OK to me (Mark is the expert, but he's probably deep in the
mountains on his vacation right now :-).  However, I'd also like to
see the contents of GLOBAL_PIPELINE if it exists in mm_cfg.py (not
Defaults.py, I'm looking for the SpamAssassin or other special
handlers, which are not present in the Defaults.py GLOBAL_PIPELINE),
and your settings for the three "filters" options under "Privacy
options".

Steve