[Mailman-Users] Disallow posting and alert members about replacement list

Andy Cravens acravens at uen.org
Thu Apr 18 13:05:48 EDT 2019

Using mailman 2.1.26.  I have a list that is going to be retired and I need to stop people from posting to the old list.  However, I don’t want to delete the list quite yet.  Also, I need to auto-reply to any attempted posters that the list is being replaced with a new list.  I have a plan but would like to see if I’m doing this the best way possible.

1) I’m going to put the list in emergency moderation mode so no more posts will go out.

2) Set Discard Held Messages to 1 day so the held messages don’t build up.

3) Configure the Auto-Responder (Auto-response text to send to mailing list posters.) telling them to use the new list.

Does this sound reasonable?  Is this the best way to achieve this?

Thanks,
Andy