[Mailman-Users] Now that Python 2 is dead

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 11 16:25:50 EDT 2019

On 4/11/19 12:15 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Generally older Python 3 code will run on newer versions. The issues are
> trying to run code developed for newer Python 3 versions on older versions.

The problem is reliance on third-party libraries coupled with absence of
usable package management system. It will "generally" run within the
same major interpreter version unless it imports a package that got
updated by some other python app on the system.

This is why containers are such a big deal: they're the only safe way to
have 2 python applications on the same host. (Coincidentally, I hear
docker's written in go and singularity recently got rewritten in go.)

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin