[Mailman-Users] Now that Python 2 is dead in 2020 what are people's plans with mailman2?

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 10 14:36:59 EDT 2019

On 4/10/19 12:49 PM, Sean McBride wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 12:38:34 -0500, Dimitri Maziuk via Mailman-Users said:
>
>> How much support for python 2 have you been getting until now, and why
>> do you believe you will need it in the future?
>
> Fixes to security vulnerabilities basically.  If/when some new one is found after 2020, you're screwed.

Screwed how, exactly?

With a properly sandboxed application your security vulnerability has to
be a) exploitable through that application and b) able to break out of
the sandbox and wreak havoc to your host system.

It's all perfectly possible in theory but really, do a basic risk
analysis before jumping on the knee-jerk security bandwagon.

(That said, given the history of python, my question would be if there
are any plans to port MM2 to golang or maybe gnat.)
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin