[Mailman-Users] Unexpected unsubscription confirmation emails

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Wed Sep 19 22:54:39 EDT 2018

On 17 September 2018 at 08:48, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Or, if you have a personalized unsubscribe link in a list footer like
> this list does, the list member replied to or forwarded a list post
> without removing the quoted footer and a recipient clicked it
> maliciously, inadvertently or thinking she was unsubscribing herself.

No, it's not customised. I feel they must have followed the generic
link and entered someone else's address. It might have been some kind
of accident, but it coincides with a period where one member might
well have wanted this particular address off the list. Only one
unsubscription attempt was reported by members, but I'd like to check
if there were more that were ignored.

> You could analyze your web server logs looking for POSTs to the list's
> options page, however that won't show you the POST data so won't be too
> useful.

So that would let us see which ip address submitted the form, but not
what was on the form? As you can see, I still haven't got around to
finding out how to access the logs, and probably won't!

> Alternatively, you could modify the ConfirmUnsubscription method in
> Mailman/MailList.py to log the event in addition to sending the
> confirmation email, or perhaps more simply, change the lines

We don't have that kind of access.