[Mailman-Users] gmail

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Sep 12 10:27:02 EDT 2018

I don't have a Mailman recommendation, but the situation is worth some
comment:

Notice Gmail "blocks" with a 4xx temp fail, for a message they will never
accept. That's a protocol violation. It's abusive.

I've been seeing the same temp fail abuse for some messages received from
Mailchimp and forwarded by our users to external addresses, and also a
message from princeton.edu forwarded through us to gmail. The fake temp
fails clutter up the mail queue and slow down queue runs. To cope, I've
started a separate queue runner to bounce on a short timeout for recipients
@gmail.

The 800 pound gorilla makes up its own rules.

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:10 PM Bernie Cosell <bernie at fantasyfarm.com>
wrote:

> I've gotten buried by 80 bounce messages, thanks to gmail's new policy
> [that was,
> apparently, put into effect yesterday].  The bounces say:
>
> <.... at gmail.com>: host alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.129.26]
> said:
>     421-4.7.0 This message does not have authentication information or
> fails to
>     pass 421-4.7.0 authentication checks. To best protect our users from
> spam,
>     the 421-4.7.0 message has been blocked. Please visit 421-4.7.0
>     https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
> 421- 4.7.0 information. 128-v6si11952705iti.109 - gsmtp (in reply to end of
> DATA command)
>
> I looked at their 'answer' and mostly found it to be unhelpful.  i
> certainly can't get
> any server anywhere to change their their system configuration, nor can I
> mess
> with mailman [all suggestions about python-esque tweaks to mailman presume
> that you have access to the server, which I don't].   Is there something I
> can do
> [just as a list owner] to deal with this mess?
>
>   /Bernie\_
>

>                  Bernie Cosell
>          bernie at fantasyfarm.com
> -- Too many people; too few sheep --