[Mailman-Users] gmail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 11 22:46:53 EDT 2018

On 09/11/2018 07:04 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I've gotten buried by 80 bounce messages, thanks to gmail's new policy [that was,
> apparently, put into effect yesterday].  The bounces say:
>
> <.... at gmail.com>: host alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.129.26] said:
>     421-4.7.0 This message does not have authentication information or fails to
>     pass 421-4.7.0 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam,
>     the 421-4.7.0 message has been blocked. Please visit 421-4.7.0
>     https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
> 421- 4.7.0 information. 128-v6si11952705iti.109 - gsmtp (in reply to end of
> DATA command)
>
> I looked at their 'answer' and mostly found it to be unhelpful.  i certainly can't get
> any server anywhere to change their their system configuration, nor can I mess
> with mailman [all suggestions about python-esque tweaks to mailman presume
> that you have access to the server, which I don't].   Is there something I can do
> [just as a list owner] to deal with this mess?

No.

You need to convince your hosting service to publish SPF records for
your domain indicating that the outgoing server is permitted and to DKIM
sign outgoing messages from your domain.

In todays environment these are normal requirements for sending mail and
the Mailman host should do them.

However, if your list domain is fantasyfarm.com, it appears that
dreamhost does publish an appropriate SPF and at least DKIM signed the
post to which I'm replying.

Also, FWIW, I'm not seeing an abnormal number of gmail users bouncing on
my lists or on python.org lists.