[Mailman-Users] reply_goes_to_list problem in 2.1.29

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 21 00:25:27 EDT 2018

On 10/20/18 12:07 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 10/20/18 11:16 AM, David Gibbs wrote:
>>
>> Once I had the file setup the reply-to munging works and so does the
>> DMARC handling.
>

> I'm not sure why not being able to access the file would cause the
> issues you saw, but I'll do some testing.

OK. I've done testing and looked carefully through the code. I set

DMARC_ORGANIZATIONAL_DOMAIN_DATA_URL = "http://msapiro.net/mailman/garbage"

in mm_cfg.py and then sent a test post From: mark_sapiro at zzz.yahoo.com
and got this in the error log

Oct 20 21:04:31 2018 (19289) Unable to retrieve data from
http://msapiro.net/mailman/garbage: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

and this in vette

Oct 20 21:04:31 2018 (19289) List1: DMARC lookup for
mark_sapiro at zzz.yahoo.com (_dmarc.yahoo.com) found p=reject in
_dmarc.yahoo.com. = v=DMARC1; p=reject; pct=100;
rua=mailto:dmarc_y_rua at yahoo.com;

and DMARC mitigations were applied. In particular, when you see a
message like that in the vette log, it means that Mailman's
IsDMARCProhibited() function has returned True meaning apply the DMARC
mitigations.

I don't see that it is possible to see that message in the vette log
without the mitigations being applied.

Further, if the From: domain itself publishes a DMARC policy, the code
that reads the organizational domain data isn't even executed (that's
why the domain is zzz.yahoo.com in my test).

Anyway, it's working for you now, and that's the important thing.