[Mailman-Users] mm-handler or aliases to integrate with sendmail

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Nov 29 11:51:27 EST 2018

On 11/29/2018 02:00 AM, Jim Ziobro wrote:
> Mm-handler is definitely a cool idea. But it seems that once Mailman can
> update Sendmail's aliases immediately there is no need for mm-handler.

I view things a little bit differently.

Why should I need to reconfigure the MTA when I'm making a change to a
different (sub)system.  Specifically, why to I need to add / change /
remove MTA aliases when I'm changing Mailman?

With mm-handler, I don't need to reconfigure the MTA at all.  I can add
/ change / remove mailing lists to / from Mailman all I want.

Granted, I am hosting my mailing lists in their own subdomain that is
routed to Mailman.

I acknowledge that aliases are required if you want to mix mailing lists
and mailboxes in the same (sub)domain.  (I do wonder if LDAP routing
might change this.)

> According to:
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037518.html
> it is just a matter of changing POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD to something
> different.  I either missed the article or I didn't understand it the
> first time I looked at the docs.  This seems like it might be easier to
> maintain and setup than the mm-handler.  At least it is the way I would
> have chosen.

That purportedly works.  But I have always felt that the separate
(sub)domain was cleaner from an MTA / email routing perspective.
Particularly if you try to have user mailboxes (one domain) on an
Exchange server and mailing lists (a different domain) on another server.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die