[Mailman-Users] OT - Smart .forward replacement?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Nov 25 01:38:03 EST 2018

On 11/24/18 10:17 PM, Jayson Smith wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I've been using .forward to forward Email from some user mailboxes to
> other addresses. Normally this works just fine, but a few weeks ago a
> situation happened which demonstrates how it can be an epic fail. I had
> a Mailman/DNS problem after upgrading a lot of packages. A message came
> in, Mailman couldn't properly look up the DMARC policy of the sending
> ISP, didn't munge the From: and sent the message on its way, and of
> course the message was from AOL, just about everybody rejected it, I
> woke up to fifty-five bounce reports…and all those bounce reports were
> also forwarded to an Email account on an Internet by telephone service,
> where deleting them was extremely slow.

Oy vey.

> What I'm looking for is possibly something that checks mailboxes from
> time to time, and forwards all incoming messages that meet certain
> parameters, taking care of DMARC difficulties along the way so the
> forwarded messages will be accepted by the remote servers. E.G. my mom
> uses that net by phone service, and would like to see Email which comes
> to her regular Email address, but doesn't want to spend time deleting
> Amazon order confirmations, Mailman moderation notices, and other
> routine, automated, or irrelevant messages. Does such a thing exist?

This really sounds like the job of an intelligent Local Delivery Agent.
Procmail is (used to be) the quintessential LDA for unix.  I think
Maildrop is a modern replacement.  I suspect that more complex mail
stores have similar functionality.

In short, you configure the LDA to intelligently handle various messages
and decide what to do with them.  You would likely want to filter
messages matching one (or more) pattern(s) and then forward other
messages matching, possibly with some form of munging.

It may be possible to press Mailman into this service by creating a list
of one (or few) subscribers and relying on Mailman's filters / topics to
decide who to deliver to.  But I feel like this is not what Mailman is
designed to do and would likely be fraught with failure.

> Thanks for any help,

You're welcome.  Good luck.

P.S.  Feel free to email me directly / off list if you want help with
Procmail.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die