[Mailman-Users] Trouble wit Permission denied on /var/lib/mailman/logs/error

Christian Zimmer christian.zimmer at berlin.de
Fri Nov 16 06:12:15 EST 2018

I am using ubuntu 18.4 LTS, apache 2.4.29, mailman 2.1.26

I have the problem that my mailman dies with

"Bug in Mailman version 2.1.26 "

The apache log says

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/logs/error':
/srv/www/vhosts/lists.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin

Obviously i moved the scripts admin, listinfo, etc. to
/srv/www/vhosts/lists.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin because i didn't
manage to make them work with apache 2.4 in the /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman
directory. The files there were served instead of executed. I have all this
"Options ExecCGI" and "SetHandler cgi-script" in my .conf.

Mailman is running as user list, group list.

The symbolic link "logs" in/var/lib/mailman is owned by root:list, has
lrwxrwxrwx permissions and points to /var/log/mailman

/var/log/mailman is owned by root:list with permissions drwxrwsr-x

The files in /var/log/mailman (i.e. error) are all owned by root:list and
have permissions rw-rw-r--

What is wrong ?