[Mailman-Users] How do I run 2.x mailman more securely?

incoming-pythonlists at rjl.com incoming-pythonlists at rjl.com
Thu May 31 23:33:53 EDT 2018

On 05/31/2018 06:24 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:

>> There are many ways to implement the same thing.  Before there were
>> modules in the kernel for this, I simply pulled lists of address
>> blocks out of databases and incorporated them into my IPtables
>> lists.  There are better tools to do this today.
>
> ACK
>
> I'm curious, did you use IPSets or just a rule per network / IP?

I wrote scripts that read the list and generated a rule per network.  It
can be slow, but has worked reliably for many years.  Since it is a
mailserver, performance has not been a big issue.  I am in the process
of designing a replacement.  If you enter your list of networks  as a
separate iptables list, then you only need to call that list when the
traffic is on the relevant port(s), so you avoid traversing the list for
other services.

Nataraj