[Mailman-Users] Help with mailman instance in broken state

Kevin Bowen kevin at ucsd.edu
Tue May 15 13:27:51 EDT 2018

So the issue seems to have resolved itself over night - there's no longer a
qrunner process taking 99% cpu, the list's admin interface is accessible,
and it's no longer rewriting its config.pck every few seconds, so I think
that means the list is now fine (although there hasn't yet been any traffic
through it so I'm not 100% sure). Even if resolved, I'd like to figure out
what happened so it doesn't happen again. To answer your questions:

>Which runner?

I remember the process had qrunner in its command line, but since it's gone
now I can't tell you in any more detail.

>What's in the various mailman/qfiles/* queues.

I don't seem to have that directory? I'm running v2.1.9 on RHEL5, do you
know where it would be located?

>What's in Mailman's logs?

The only thing relvant-seeming we were able to find in the logs was a
mention in vette that a message was being held for moderation, and then a
bunch of bounce-processing.

>What's in Mailman's locks directory? See <https://wiki.list.org/x/17891756
>.

Ok, now this is interesting: there are 6 files in /var/lock/mailman named
<listname>.lock.announce.ucsd.edu.<digits>.0 They have timestamps between 3
and 4 in the morning, which is probably around the time the issue cleared
up. Looking in /var/log/mailman/locks I see, starting right around the time
the problem started yesterday, a bunch of stack traces with
"<listname>.lock lifetime has expired, breaking" and "<listname>.lock
unexpected linkcount: -1"

Also, I notice that in /var/lib/mailman/data, there are currently 4 files
called heldmsg-<listname>-<digits>.pck, although the admin interface says
there are currently no messages being held for moderation. Does that mean
anything?

Kevin Bowen
UCSD ITS UBPS
kevin at ucsd.edu