[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-cabal] GDPR

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Mon May 14 18:11:53 EDT 2018

Hi all!

On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 12:33 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
[...]
> These are just rough notes:
>
> - Archive purge requests. We have discussed the same items as on the
> list to date.  I am looking at doing a simple grep for the relevant
> person's details and changing that.  The main reason for doing this
> is that if we just remove the author's messages they will be in a
> thread of other messages and our users typically don't remove quoted
> material.  Current advice from the GDPR people is we may have to
> delete the whole thread.  Still under discussion, this is also

While at it, why not delete the entire archive just to be sure? SCNR

Seriously, these folks don't know what they imply.

And to be honest: If person X fullquotes and the email ends in an
archive, who's fault is it?

Obviously the archive's (or more it's owners), not?

For the author's rights side to it: I answer an email (and happen to
quote just the relevant parts of other emails) to a public mailinglist
with a public archive.
I don't think that the archive's admin or anyone else should have the
right (let alone the duty) to *edit* or *change* *my* email in there -
or even worse: *remove* it completely.

MfG,
	Bernd

PS: The whole "right to be forgotten" idea is absurd per se - think
    about private archives (and I don't think about 3-letter
    organizations only).
    Can't we define the public archive to be an *necessary* and
    *important* part of a public mailinglist and be done with it?!
    For almost everyone else, some "important reason" is good enough
    too.
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
                     LUGA : http://www.luga.at