[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-cabal] GDPR

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Sat May 12 17:35:54 EDT 2018

Hi all!

On 12/05/18 22:48, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:
> On 05/12/2018 02:39 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> It would be a much more annoying matter if they claimed the right to
>> be deleted from third party posts that quoted and identified them,
>> though. If there is a "right to be forgotten" that impinges on mailing
>> list archives, that seems plausible to me, though who knows what the

Well, it's the very nature of an archive that everything stays there
(similar to a backup).

>> High Court would rule.
>
> I wonder if the entire post (and any partial / quoted copies) must be
> deleted or if it is sufficient to modify them so that they do not
> reflect the author but still retain (non-PII) content.  That would be

The other aspect of a mailing list archive is that one can find it and
may want to ask the original author something about the issue there.

On the other hand deleting the mail address (on the mail server side by
the author) also kills that communication line.

One other thing: And if someone (as a current or former mailing list
member) has the right to get the email address, name and signature
removed in one mail, does the mailing list admin has the right to delete
*all* the instances or only the actively requested/mentioned ones?
And what about other mail addresses of the same person?

> less of a negative impact on archives.
>
> God forbid if blockchain was used on the archive.  }:-)

Does anyone know how the "blockckain is the solution to everything"
faction handles these issues?
It's not that they can ignore that either - if only to discuss the
question how personal the wallet address (or whatever it is called) is.

Or can we kill the whole problem by using a blockchain for a mailinglist
archive archive?

MfG,
	Bernd
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at