[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-cabal] GDPR

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat May 12 16:39:27 EDT 2018

Dimitri Maziuk writes:
 > On 05/11/2018 04:55 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
 >
 > I think the basic inconvenient truth is nobody's going to come after you
 > unless you have money to pay the settlement.

I think the basic inconvenient truth is that *some*body *will* come
after *some*body else on the basis that they *might* have enough money
to pay a settlement, or just to make "the responding party's" life
hell.  I know several people that's happened to in the US, and one in
the EU (where things are reputed to be more civilized, but that
doesn't mean risk is zero).

 > I expect the impact on "smaller lists run by Unpaid Volunteers" to
 > be about on par with that of the right to be forgotten. How many
 > people here had to delete messages and rebuild the archives because
 > of it?  And besides, I've done that a few times cleaning up spam
 > that got past the filters -- it's not *that* hard.

It would be a much more annoying matter if they claimed the right to
be deleted from third party posts that quoted and identified them,
though.  If there is a "right to be forgotten" that impinges on
mailing list archives, that seems plausible to me, though who knows
what the High Court would rule.

Steve