[Mailman-Users] Possibly OT: GDPR and list servers

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed May 9 08:39:09 EDT 2018

Hi, Reference:

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone in the EU come across the GDPR guidelines in the context of Mailman?  We are a charity and run Mailman as part of that with some high traffic email lists.  I am getting a lot of conflicting information regarding whether we can even continue to do this in the current climate, most of it coming from half baked documents or different people's opinion, so I wanted to put it out there to see if there is anything that the community may have that we can use or help with in a co-ordinated way.

The 88 page source:
 http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32016R0679&from=EN

Linked from:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

GDPR seems the latest government imposed plague ** to consume
business time unpaid, along with VAT etc.  Bigger companies can
afford it, but for some small companies it's last nail in the coffin.

** Remember the ISO 9000 certification plague ?  When industry
threw out good equipment that wasn't ISO 9000; & even banks bored
us they too were ISO 9000 method compliant.

I may put something like this at top of
	http://mailman.berklix.org/mailman/listinfo
  GDPR: 88 pages of PDF this unpaid admin has no time to read.
  Mail lists & web are run Free. You pay nothing. We are paid nothing.
  If you object Unsubscribe Yourself.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich
 Brexit Referendum stole 3,700,000 votes, inc. 700,000 from British in EU.