[Mailman-Users] Newbie User

Christian F Buser luscheina at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 27 18:21:30 EDT 2018

Hello Carl Zwanzig. On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:45:13 -0700, you wrote:
> On 3/27/2018 9:52 AM, Christian F Buser via Mailman-Users wrote:
>> Hello David Elliott. On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 10:51:40 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>>> One of the recipients recently did a 'reply to all' and consequently
>>> sent his reply to the whole mailing list. I'm sure there must be a way
>>> to prevent this but I can't find it!
>>
>> Set all members to "moderated", with the exception or those who may
>> post to the list.
>
> Seems a bit harsh. Question is how you want the list to behave- to
> facilitate discussion or simply to make announcements. If the latter
> is preferred, then yes, setting all members to moderated will prevent
> them from posting.

If a "reply ro all" results in a message post to the list (which is normal) and the list owner says this is unwanted - then I think it should behave as an announcement list only. Otherwise, the message post should be acceptable.

There is probably no easy way to distinguish between wanted / unwanted messages, if it is a discussion list.

> OTOH, if the list's purpose is discussion, moderating all members
> becomes a bottleneck.

Of course, moderating too many users in a discussion list is a bad idea anyway.

> In that case, user training is often the best
> route; explaining when it's appropriate to send to the list and when
> it's not. And there will -always- be errors.  (Scholars differ on
> whether the default action should be reply-to-list or reply-to-sender
> and there's nothing to be gained by trying to resolve that here.)

On a discussion list, I would set default reply- to-list.

Christian

--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org