[Mailman-Users] 'Read-only file system' when processing posts

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 1 22:31:50 EST 2018

On 03/01/2018 06:53 PM, Jesse B. Crawford wrote:

> The one idea I've thought of so far is a chroot issue since parts of
> Postfix run chrooted, but my understanding is that the 'local' delivery
> is not run in a chroot, and checking the postfix master.cf bears this
> out as it is marked 'n' in the chroot column. I can see from the
> logs/bounces that the local delivery binary is the one that's invoking
> mailman and encountering the error.

Yes, and the documentation for 'local' is very clear that it will run
the command as the user that owns the aliases.db file.

The only thing I can think of is that when Postfix invokes the
/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman command, the SETGID bit is not being
honored for some reason, but even if that were the case it should be
running as group mailman at that point anyway so the effective gid
should be Mailman's in any case.

It clearly has something to do with Postfix being somehow different from
everything else, but I'm at a loss to understand what that might be.