[Mailman-Users] Changing Characters

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 27 23:11:04 EDT 2018

On 6/27/18 7:56 PM, David Andrews wrote:
> At one time I changed some settings in Content Filtering, on all my
> lists.  It was quite a few versions ago, to solve some problem that I
> can't even remember.  I am still doing it, remove everything from filter
> these content types, I think. Would that do it, should I restore them?

A possibility is:

1) Outlook composes a message in some character set that supports 'right
single quote' as a fancy apostrophe.

2) The message is composed as HTML only - there are other possibilities,
but this is the simplest.

3) Mailman's content filtering accepts text/html anc
convert_html_to_plaintext is Yes.

4) The converted plain text is rendered as ascii and the fancy 'right
single quote' is rendered as '?'.

If this is the issue, you can set convert_html_to_plaintext to No to
avoid it.