[Mailman-Users] Bouncing emails.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 14 20:09:16 EDT 2018

On 06/14/2018 04:41 PM, Mark T wrote:
> Hi is there any way I can stop my mailman list
> Members emails bouncing keeps saying to reply to the email they do that and it keeps happening

I don't understand. What keeps happening?  What is the email asking for
a reply?

Are you saying that a user's delivery is disabled by bounce and the user
receives a notice that looks something like:

> Your membership in the mailing list %(listname)s has been disabled
> %(reason)s.  You will not get any more messages from this
> list until you re-enable your membership.  You will receive
> %(noticesleft)s more reminders like this before your membership in the
> list is deleted.
>
> To re-enable your membership, you can simply respond to this message
> (leaving the Subject: line intact), or visit the confirmation page at
>
>     %(confirmurl)s

and the user responds and after a time the user's delivery is disabled
again. If so, the underlying delivery issue needs to be fixed. If you
ensure that the list's Bounce processing Notifications
bounce_notify_owner_on_disable and if your Mailman is new enough,
bounce_notify_owner_on_bounce_increment are set to Yes. Then the owner
notice will say why the mail is bouncing, Or if you have access, you can
just look in the MTA logs.