[Mailman-Users] pending subscription to list "mailman"

Jim Popovitch jimpop at domainmail.org
Mon Jun 11 15:28:19 EDT 2018

On Mon, 2018-06-11 at 12:21 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 6/11/18 10:26 AM, Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users wrote:
> >
> > For some unknown reason a legitimate human sent a subscribe request
> > mailman-subscribe at domain.tld and now I'm receiving pending
> > subscriber
> > notifications for the "mailman" list, which isn't a list with an
> > available web interface.  Is there a cmd line way to discard
> > pending
> > subscribers?
>
> Why do you think there's no web interface. Have you tried going to
> http(s)://any.of.your.domains/admindb/mailman/ ?

There's no web interface on domain.tld because it's the backend domain
that's hosting virtual lists.

Using one of the virtual domains, as you described, works to show the
pending sub request, but Submit action is based on mlist settings
(domain.tld) so the submit never occurs.

> There are a couple of scripts at <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/>,
> namely 'erase' and 'list_requests' that can do the discard.

Perfect, thanks!

> > Also, should the mailman/data/aliases.db even contain aliases for
> > the
> > mailman list?

> admin
> overview pages as a place for questions. Also,
> mailman-bounces at domain.tld is the envelope sender of password
> reminders
> and some owner notices and some MTA configurations don't accept
> outging
> mail that isn't from a deliverable address, although I think this is
> mostly an Exim issue and Exim doesn't use aliases.
>
> Also, if you don't put a MAILTO in Mailman's crontab, any errors from
> Mailman's crons will be sent to mailman at domain.tld.
>
> For all these reasons, I recommend setting up the 'mailman' list with
> the Mailman site admins as owners and members and setting
> generic_nonmember_action to accept.
>
> Anyway, the short answer to "should the mailman/data/aliases.db even
> contain aliases for the mailman list?" is Yes, but if it makes sense
> in
> your installation to remove them, you can.

I'm going to leave them but disable (comment out) the
subscribe/join/etc ones.

Thanks for the help!

- -Jim P.