[Mailman-Users] Repeating Outgoing Messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 10 17:28:39 EDT 2018

On 6/10/18 11:21 AM, Brian Carpenter wrote:

> I have a strange issue that has been occurring for the last 2 weeks. One of
> our mailman servers continues to have 4-5 messages stuck in the qfiles/out
> folder. These messages are being removed and then readded to the folder. The
> same messages over and over and over. It is causing significant I/O usage. I
> have to stop the mailman server and then manually remove the messages. They
> are coming from one list via different members. I checked the list archives
> and there is only one copy of each message listed in the archive and they
> are not being resent to list members. It's just that these 4/5 messages are
> being removed and then rewritten to the qfiles/out folder over and over.
> Suggestions?

My first guess is they are outgoing messages that have encountered some
'retryable' SMTP error on one or more recipients and are being retried.

Normally, they would only be retried every 15 minutes, but possibly this
is occurring more often for some reason.

Are there entries in qfiles/retry?
What is logged in Mailman's smtp-failure log?
What does Mailman's bin/dumpdb show on the .pck (or maybe .bak - need a
-p option for that) files in qfiles/out and qfiles/retry? Look
particularly at the second object from dumpdb - bin/show-qfiles doesn't
show that.

What does the MTA say about these?