[Mailman-Users] "Freezing" mailing list

Yasuhito FUTATSUKI futatuki at poem.co.jp
Sat Jun 2 02:14:01 EDT 2018

Hi,

Though already it has been resolved, JFYI.

On 05/29/18 23:20, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> I would like to "freeze" an existing mailing list: I want to keep the
> mailing list but I want no one newly subscribe the list.

I've implemented new list's subscribe_policy 'forbid' for this purpose.

(patch against latest mailman:

With 'forbid' subscribe_policy,
* it hide subscription form on list's listinfo page (by using new
   template listinfo_nosubscribe.html).
* it reject all subscription request from users via Web UI and via email.
* following operations are still allowed, inspite of ban_lists rule
   to prevent any email address to subscribe doesn't allow them.
     - changing email address of users already subscribing both by users
       themselves operations and by list owners.
     - adding new member via operations by list owner or site owner.

On the other hand, the things to be worse,
* this breakes translations of some conpicious message by modification.
   (this is one reason why this modification won't be merged into
    upstream)
* it also is needed to prepare new translated template for listinfo
   page without subscription form, for all languages used by lists
   (otherwise, fall back to English template if 'forbid' policy is
   choosed)
* new value for subscribe_policy 4 as 'forbid' may conflict with
   future release of mailman 2.1 and already this value is
   incompatible with current version. (to migrate list config data
   file from modified version to upstream, make sure its
   subscribe_policy should be other than 'forbid')

--
Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <futatuki at poem.co.jp>