[Mailman-Users] bounce notification to owner from non members?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 28 10:46:59 EDT 2018

On 07/28/2018 04:52 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 7/28/18 3:02 AM, Adam Morris wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I receive about 8 bounce messages a day for one of my lists from
>> people trying to post to it who aren't members.
>> The list is set up as private so not sure how these spammers find it.
>> I've been to the bounce page but can't work out how to stop these
>> messages but allow bounce messages from members?
>> TIA
>
> Is it a HOLD message? If so then on the Sender Filter page you want to
> make the non-member action be discard. If you make it Reject, then you
> will see a bounce message if the spam message and a bad from address
> (which it normally will have), also if you use reject then if the
> message has a faked from address that is actually valid, you are
> committing back-scatter and might get your list black-listed.

If the above doesn't answer the question, please be more specific about
exactly what messages you are concerned about. If you are talking about
"unrecognized bounce" notices, these are from spam sent to the
listname-bounces address. You can stop them by setting
bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner to No. The risk of a legitimate
bounce from a member not being recognized is extremely small.

> It would be nice if Mailman could tell the MTA as it was receiving the
> message that it wasn't acceptable so it could be rejected then, but
> since it generally can't, you need to discard spam, not reject it.

See both links in the post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2018-July/083558.html>.