[Mailman-Users] Munge From was: non-subscribers getting through--email address in "Real Name"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 25 21:27:58 EDT 2018

On 07/25/2018 05:24 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>> Perhaps the wrapper message would look like today's munged ML messages -
>> From: Real Person <mailinglist at example.com> / Reply-To: Real Person
>> <realperson at example2.com> - but a list-aware MUA would largely hide that.
>>
>> Of course there are a million details and getting adoption would be hard.
> Yes, one set of solutions would involve defining standards of how to
> compose composite messages, with standards on how to display them. A
> major part of the current issue is that for anything more than a single
> part plain text you can't be sure how it will be handled.

First, the MLM side of this proposal is exactly what the Mailman "Wrap
Message" action does. It wraps the original message, unchanged except
for content filtering as a message/rfc822 part in an outer message. List
headers and footers if any are added as separate parts in the outer
message and all subject prefixing, From: header munging addition of
List-* headers etc is done to the outer message.

This action is almost universally ignored in favor of Munge From because
of MUA deficiencies. There are MUAs that will render such a message in a
highly readable manner, but there are others, particularly mobile device
clients, that make it difficult to impossible to view the wrapped message.

If Thunderbird can do a reasonable job of rendering such a message, and
it does, there's little if any excuse for other MUAs to not do so. Even
Yahoo web mail, which I just tried, does OK after I click "Show original
message".

But, when this was initially implemented, I tried using Wrap Message on
my bicycling club's lists, and I received many complaints so I went to
Munge From.