[Mailman-Users] non-subscribers getting through--email address in "Real Name"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 25 00:24:23 EDT 2018

On 07/24/2018 08:47 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:
> I am talking about modifying the From: header such that the message no
> longer had any conflict with the original published DMARC records.

Consider this:

If I create a novel called _The Hexadecimal Kid and His Faithful Dog
ASCII_ [1] and submit the manuscript to a publisher and the publisher
type sets it, prints thousands of bound copies with a title page with
added information about the publisher and maybe adds a subtitle and some
info on a dust jacket, and delivers those printed books to book sellers,
has the publisher now become the author of the book or am I still the
author?

RFC 5322 is clear

   The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
   that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
   for the writing of the message.

I.e. the mailbox(es) in the From: header are those of the author. It
doesn't matter if the author is in a comment or display name, if the
mailbox is that of the list, you are claiming the list is the author of
the post.

I'm not saying it is not expedient or even possibly necessary to Munge
the From: in this way. I'm only saying it is a violation of RFC 5322
unless you believe the publisher is author of my book.

[1] Bonus points for anyone who gets the reference.