[Mailman-Users] non-subscribers getting through--email address in "Real Name"

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Fri Jul 20 02:40:48 EDT 2018

Hi,

Both of these approaches seem to be specific to Postfix if I'm not
mistaken. There's a similar milter for Sendmail called Mailman-Milter
which I was using for a while. However, it worked based on Mailman's
action E.G. it would use a Python script to determine what Mailman would
do with a particular sender's mail for a particular list. If the answer
was reject or discard, the incoming message got rejected at the SMTP
data stage. This meant the list owner had to set up Mailman to reject or
discard mail from non-subscribers. Unfortunately when I upgraded to
Debian 9 from CentOS 6, Mailman-Milter broke somehow, and I don't
understand the code well enough to figure out why. It also hasn't been
updated in quite some time, and has virtually no documentation.

Could either of these milter solutions linked previously be adapted for
use as a Sendmail milter? I'd love to find something which would query
Mailman about the status of a particular sender address at the RCPT
stage of the SMTP transaction so spoofed mail can be rejected right
away, however, this might not be possible for one reason or another. Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jayson