[Mailman-Users] non-subscribers getting through--email address in "Real Name"

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Jul 19 18:31:51 EDT 2018

On 07/19/2018 04:16 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Mailman can be configured to remove DKIM related headers from
> incoming mail before sending.

ACK

I'm lumping various in as well, which I'm not aware of Mailman being
able to remove.

I think there are others that fall into the same category, but I don't
recall them at the moment.

> When first implemented, this was done unconditionally. There
> were strenuous objections, see the thread at
> <https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2007-February/019346.html>,
> and removal was made conditional on REMOVE_DKIM_HEADERS which defaults
> to No.

ACK

> The bottom line is that the DKIM standard (RFC 6376) says that invalid
> signatures SHOULD NOT be treated differently fro no signature, and people
> feel the invalid signature may have forensic value.

I agree that headers should not be modified between the sender and the
recipient.  The catch is, I believe the mailing list is the recipient
and a subsequent (re)sender of a very similar but different message.  As
such, I think that DKIM (and related) headers in a message going to a
mailing list are unrelated to DKIM (and related) headers in a message
coming from a mailing list.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die