[Mailman-Users] Reply-to options not working

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Jan 31 04:45:00 EST 2018

--On 30. Januar 2018 um 13:33:35 -0700 Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users
<mailman-users at python.org> wrote:

> On 01/26/2018 09:41 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
>> I was suggesting that one way to address that complaint would be for
>> your mail client to detect the duplication and hide the duplicate copies.
>
> That sounds good in theory.  But the practice that I'm exposed to doesn't
> work out well.
>
> I usually receive the direct replies before the copy from the mailing
> list.  With the copy coming in from the mailing list after the message
> directly to me is processed, there is little chance of retroactively
> removing the original copy.  At least from procmail filters.  I'm also
> not aware of much that Thunderbird can do.

Cyrus IMAP does duplicate suppression by default, so I never see more than
one copy. I usually send replies to both author and list, because you never
know how long the mail will take over the list, and with a modern server
duplicates are a non-issue.
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.