[Mailman-Users] Reply-to options not working

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Jan 30 00:56:02 EST 2018

Jordan Brown writes:

 > make everybody happy

That's a longer way of expressing "right."  I'm *still* not interested
in that.

 > I can only hope that whatever standards develop make both "reply to
 > author" and "reply to all" convenient.

No MUA is going to remove either of those functions.

 > (And that's another of the key items:  the "Reply-To: <list>"
 > configuration makes it *difficult* to reply to the author, and that
 > seems just plain rude.)

Why?  Nobody is talking about taking away anybody's Reply-To-Author
function, and nobody says you personally have to bind "smart reply" to
anything in your MUA.

 > Side question:  when you have a message addressed to multiple
 > mailing lists, what does "reply to list" even mean?

Long answer: click here -> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2369
Short answer: List-Post may occur at most once.  It goes there.

 > Note also that the MailMan UI says "Where are replies to list messages
 > directed? Poster is /strongly /recommended for most mailing lists." so
 > it's not just me.

Opposing "Reply-To munging" is nowhere near advocating restricting
reply UI to "Reply-to-Author" and "Reply-to-All", no more, no less.
In fact, my opposition to Reply-To munging is a good part of *why* I
think "smart reply" would be a useful addition to AOL's MUA, inter alia.

 > (I'm not sure whether T-bird can save me from a DMARC-munged list that
 > uses "Reply-To: <list>".  That combination just makes my head hurt.)

It made Mark's head hurt, too.  I think he did a good job of
mitigating a fundamentally broken part of the Internet, but it's
suboptimal that anybody uses p=reject on non-transactional mail flows.
(This algorithm can't do anything to help with DMARC, unfortunately.)

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull/sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information