[Mailman-Users] Reply-to options not working

Jordan Brown mailman at jordan.maileater.net
Wed Jan 24 23:16:21 EST 2018

On 1/24/2018 4:48 PM, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:
> On 01/24/2018 10:40 AM, Jordan Brown wrote:
>> If a message had only List-Post and From, that wouldn't get the
>> result that I would want.  I would want Reply to go to the author. As
>> a list member, I consider it an absolute requirement that Reply go to
>> the author and only to the author; I boycott any list that directs
>> Reply to the list.  (I've dropped off the "staff" list for an event I
>> was participating in for this reason.)
>
> I think that the difference of Reply vs Reply-List applies to your
> statement.

I don't understand this statement.  Or, I don't understand how it
disagrees with what I said.  I don't really care whether the MUA has a
"Reply List" button that does something list-specific.  "Reply" should
go to the author; "Reply All" should go to all of the original recipients.

> You are entitled to your opinion of how a mailing list should operate
> and free to configure any mailing lists you manage accordingly.

Of course, and I'm free to participate or not participate in mailing
lists based on their policies. And although I normally try to resist
this argument (and don't always succeed), somebody explicitly suggested
trying to define a best practice... and if there's ever a time to say
what one thinks the best practice should be, that's it.

>> I want "Reply" to go to the author, and "Reply All" to go to the
>> author, the list, and any other To or CC destinations.  I simply
>> can't understand any other answer.  I don't understand why anybody
>> feels a need for "Reply List".
>
> Lack of understanding does not mean that other ways are invalid.
>
> See my comment above for why I want replies to my message to
> /discussion/ lists to go to the list.

Sure.  That's what "Reply All" means.  Like you said, it's a matter of
user education :-)

Let's look at a couple of e-mail messages. (And not bothering to put in
real addresses, or the headers that the mailing list might magically add.)

    From: Sam
    To: Joe, Dave, Jordan

If I hit Reply, the message goes to Sam.  If I hit Reply All, the
message goes to Sam, Joe, and Dave.  (And maybe, depending on my MUA, to
me too.)

Any controversy there?

Now the second message:

    From: Sam

In the scheme I prefer:  If I hit Reply, the message goes to Sam.  If I
hit Reply All, the message goes to Sam and the mailing list.  This seems
totally consistent with the behavior above.

In the scheme you prefer (as I understand it):  If I hit Reply, the
message goes to the mailing list.  If I hit Reply All, the message goes
to the mailing list.  There's no way to get the message to go just to
Sam (absent cutting and pasting).  If Sam isn't on the mailing list, he
won't even get a copy.  But most importantly, the behavior is not
consistent with the non-mailing-list behavior above.

Now another message:

    From: Sam

In my scheme, again, Reply goes to Sam; Reply All goes to everybody.
Consistent with the behavior above.

In your scheme, Reply goes to ... ? Well, it depends.  If this is the
copy of the message that I got through the mailing list, Reply will go
to the mailing list, Joe, and Dave.  If, on the other hand, this is the
copy that I got directly, Reply will go to Sam.  Reply All goes to... if
it's the mailing list copy, it goes to the mailing list, Joe, and Dave;
if it's the direct copy, then Sam, the mailing list, Joe, and Dave.  For
the two replies based on the mailing list copy, the message won't go to
Sam unless he's on the mailing list.

And another: