[Mailman-Users] local recipient table

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 5 14:56:24 EST 2018

On 01/05/2018 01:34 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 01/05/2018 01:41 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
>> On 01/05/2018 11:49 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>>
>>> SMTPHost seems to do a non-mx record lookup for the value ... which is a
>>> little strange.

>> When you look up
>> an MX, you can look up an MX for a *domain*, *or* you could look up an
>> MX for a *host*.
>
> NO NO NO
>
> You are looking up a host.  You can do that with a domain name, or a
> specific host name, but you are looking up for a HOST, or more than a
> single host with rankings, with a specific ip addresses.

I think you are confused: I am not talking about what you get back, I am
talking about what you ask *for*.

You can ask for an MX record for *FOOHost*.

You can ask an MX record for FOOHost's *domain*.

They are *not the same* MX record and there is no mechanism to return
the latter if you ask for the former.

When you are *looking up a host*, you are asking for A/CNAME. That's a
"non-mx record lookup" which you find "a little strange". It isn't.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin