[Mailman-Users] "[Errno 30] Read-only file system" error when accessing Mailman admin pages from outside of cPanel

Jim Ratliff jim at jim-ratliff.name
Tue Jan 2 02:03:44 EST 2018

When someone attempts to subscribe to the Mailman list at the public-information page, e.g.,

myserver.org/mailman/subscribe/listname <http://myserver.org/mailman/subscribe/listname>

1) the request for subscription DOES go through (shows up on pending subscription requests), BUT
2) the user is shown a page that says "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.23, We're sorry, we hit a bug! Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.”

When I look in the error log, the most-relevant entry seems to be:

OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public/REDACTED_LISTNAME’

In case it’s helpful, here’s the traceback:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/scripts/driver", line 117, in run_main
>     main()
>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line 110, in main
>     mlist.Save()
>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 607, in Save
>     self.CheckHTMLArchiveDir()
>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 236, in CheckHTMLArchiveDir
>     breaklink(pubdir)
>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 56, in breaklink
>     os.unlink(link)

I ran “check_perms” and the only response was:

> Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
>          This could allow other users on your system to read private archives.
>          If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
>          installation manual on how to fix this.

which doesn’t seem like an explanation for my problem.

In the subject line, I say I have this problem "when accessing Mailman admin pages from outside of cPanel.” What I mean is that I don’t get this error if I go through cPanel » Mailing Lists and access the admin pages through those links.

Any ideas on what to do or check?

Thanks!
Jim