[Mailman-Users] Stuck OutgoingRunner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 6 11:18:37 EST 2018

On 02/06/2018 03:48 AM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> Is it possible that the OutgoingRunner was done with transmitting the
> message and had already removed the queue file, but that the connection
> hadn't yet been closed?

Only if something went very wrong in SMTPDirect.process() which would
have had to return to OutgoingRunner before the .bak would be removed.

As I read the code in SMTPDirect.process(), delivery is in a try: ...
finally: and the connection is closed in the finally: clause.

> Now I wonder the MTA had already closed the connection and Mailman for
> some reason didn't notice. Because the Runner was stuck longer than any
> timeout on the MTA would permit. But I failed to check that. Should it
> hapen again I will have a look on the MTA end.

You should be able to see the connect and all that follows in the MTA
logs to see if the MTA closed the connection.

Anyway, if it did do that while the runner was waiting for response,
that should raise socket.error which would be caught and handled.