[Mailman-Users] Mailman & DMARC policy = none?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 31 15:08:54 EST 2018

On 12/31/18 10:36 AM, David Gibbs via Mailman-Users wrote:

> I'm curious as to how people are setting
> 'dmarc_none_moderation_action'... which controls how Mailman handles
> domains with a dmarc policy action of none (like gmail.com).
>
> Is there a compelling reason to set it to Yes so that messages from such
> domains are munged or wrapped?

No. There is no compelling reason to set it to Yes. It does not affect
mail delivery. It only affects the reports sent by list recipient's
service providers to the original From: domain which publishes p=none.
Read the entire thread at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1539384>. The originator of
that bug report would like every Mailman list to apply
dmarc_moderation_action unconditionally to posts From: domains that
publish any DMARC policy including p=none.

Implementing this as a list option does not satisfy the originator
because he is concerned about mail From: his own domain which publishes
p=none to lists operated by others which he does not control.

It would have been better if this feature had never been implemented,
and it is not in Mailman 3.