[Mailman-Users] POST problem fixed!

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 5 19:47:28 EDT 2018

On 08/05/2018 09:10 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>> I discovered, after much mucking around, that the problem
>> is that Mailman requires all of the form fields to be
>> submitted.
>
> Just a footnote to this: If you have a big list and you're trying to, say,
> change the 'nomail' setting via the membership page, you're going to have
> a *lot* of POST parameters!  Every person subscribed to the list that's listed
> on that page will generate something like 10 form variables.  That's going
> to be a *big* POST!  Just to flip one bit..:o)

This is not correct. First of all, you could look at the resultant page
for a search for the one member's email address and see a form with only
one user on it.

In general, you do not need to submit every field of the form. You do
have to either look at the code or experiment to see which fields are
required, but in the membership list in particular, you don't need to
submit values for any but the one member you are looking at.

On the other hand, the only reason to create scripts to post to the web
UI to make changes is if you only have access to the web UI. If you have
command access to the Mailman server, it is generally much preferred to
create Python scripts to access Mailman directly. See
<https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/> for lots of examples.