[Mailman-Users] Giving access to moderators using hostgator

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Apr 29 11:13:36 EDT 2018

On 04/29/2018 06:00 AM, Rafael Salasnik wrote:
> Hi
>
> Any idea of how to give moderators access to mailing list administration
> in hostgator?

Give them the list admin password.

This can be confusing as there are 4 independent list attributes
involved. There are the 'owner' and 'moderator' lists of addresses.
These only control where various messages and notices are sent. I.e.
mail to LISTNAME-owner and most Mailman generated notices go to both the
owner and the moderator addresses, but a few notices go to owner
addresses only.

There are also administrator and moderator passwords. From the point of
view of the web UI and administrator is one who visits the 'admin' pages
and authenticates with the administrator password. A moderator is one
who visits the 'admindb' pages and authenticates with either the
administrator password or the moderator password.

I.e. authentication with the moderator password allows access only to
the 'admindb' pages. Authentication with the administrator password
allows access to both the 'admin' and the 'admindb' pages. These access
rights have nothing to do with any addresses in the 'owner' and
'moderator' lists.

All the above is 'generic' GNU Mailman. If Hostgator has made changes to
their Mailman, things could be different there. I do see that Hostgator
appears to use cPanel and I know that cPanel Mailman has some changes in
the area of web authentication, but even so I suspect that if you want
to give someone access to the 'admin' UI, they have to authenticate as
an admin.