[Mailman-Users] Brute force attacks on mailman web ui

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Mon Apr 16 10:46:21 EDT 2018

On Sun, 2018-04-15 at 22:53 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
> We are currently under brute force attack on our mailman server's web
> ui.
>

> Is there anything / feature that Mailman has that can be used to
> watch/monitor it?

A related question would be whether there's any way to correlate failed
web UI login attempts with IP addresses. It doesn't appear that at
present Mailman 2 logs failed web UI attempts at all, although I may be
missing something.

If this were possible, a system-level utility such as fail2ban could be
used to monitor logs and establish kernel filter rules to block these
IPs.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."