[Mailman-Users] bulk subscribe 7K users

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 30 18:19:13 EDT 2017

On 09/30/2017 02:31 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> But the welcome messages have been sent so interrupting it and
> re-running with smaller address chunks will have some people receive the
> welcome message twice. I'd like to avoid that.

TRhe welcome messages contain randomly generated user passwords which
will be different when the user is actually subscribed.

You could figure from logs which users received welcomes and mass
subscribe them without sending a welcome, but then the welcome they
received will not have the correct password.

>> It's done. Nothing is "in progress".
>
> I am not asking about the web interface. I am assuming that
> bin/add_members will also "subscribe the members one at a time" and my
> definition of "in progress" is they are not all subscribed yet.

It's in progress as far as you're concerned, but not as far as Mailman
is concerned. As far as Mailman is concerned, some users were sent
welcome messages, but no one has been subscribed. End of story.

> AFAICT
> nothing is done until they are -- this is the point. If mailman was
> updating the membership list one subscriber at a time, I wouldn't have
> asked. BTW bin/list_members isn't showing anything as "done" yet, by my
> definition of "done", either.

And it won't no matter how long you wait.

> That said, the part about subscribing them one at a time but not
> updating list configuration until all is done is what I wanted to
> confirm, thank you.
>
> I assume it does save state internally and the process will be resumed
> if interrupted? (E.g. disk crash, power loss, PFY decides to update the
> kernel and reboot because they didn't get the memo?)

Wrong. You have to start over. Nothing is saved from the first attempt.
The process died and the state was restored to the last known good state
which is before anyone was subscribed.